In 2021, the Federal Trade Commission (FTC) amended the Gramm-Leach-Bliley Act, which is commonly known as the “Safeguards Rule.” The amendment, which goes into effect on June 9, 2023, creates stricter regulations for car dealership data protection. The rule requires dealerships with over 5,000 customer records to develop, implement, and maintain a security program to protect customer information. If you’re a small dealer, you might wonder how you can contend with these big changes. In this guide, we’ll outline the new regulations and discuss how a managed services provider in Orange County, like TechHeights, can help car dealerships get compliant before the upcoming deadline.
What Are the FTC Regulation Changes for Car Dealerships?
Car dealerships handle a large volume of consumer information, including sensitive data that cybercriminals want to steal. The Safeguards Rule outlines stricter procedures that dealerships must follow to protect their customers’ information and reduce the possibility of a cyberattack. Before the amendment, the FTC allowed dealerships to make their own protections. However, with the rise of cybercrimes, the revised rule provides more concrete guidance for dealerships’ security programs.
Updates to the Safeguard Rule
The new Safeguards Rule identifies nine key elements that your car dealership’s information security program must include:
- Designate a “Qualified Individual” to implement and supervise the dealership’s information security program. This person can be an employee or can work for an IT service provider in Orange County, like TechHeights.
- Conduct a risk assessment. Before creating a compliant security program, dealerships must first understand what information they have, where this information is located, and which specific threats could affect the data’s security.
- Implement safeguards to control the identified risks. This part of the rule is very detailed and includes specifics on access management, encrypting sensitive information, implementing multi-factor authentication, and securely disposing of information.
- Assess vulnerabilities and continuously monitor the effectiveness of these safeguards.
- Train your employees. Staff members need regular, specialized training to spot potential risks.
- Monitor service providers. Your dealership probably works with multiple vendors to run your business as smoothly as possible. But under the new rule, your service provider contracts must include security expectations, including security assessments.
- Keep your information security program current. Dealerships must adjust digital security programs based on any changes.
- Write an incident response and recovery plan. The plan must outline procedures, processes, roles and responsibilities in case of a security event.
- Require the “Qualified individual” to provide a regular written status report on the company’s security program.
How Can a Managed Service Provider Help Car Dealerships Stay Compliant?
The changes to the Safeguard Rule are complex and time-consuming. Many of the requirements listed above have detailed specifics, and all of them require most car dealerships to develop new expertise and capabilities — and fast. A managed service provider in Orange County can be a trusted partner in helping you create a culture of cybersecurity awareness. TechHeights helps car dealerships stay compliant in a variety of ways, including:
- Assessments: We’ll guide you through the process and perform a detailed analysis to determine your current level of compliance.
- Recommendations: After the assessment, we’ll give your dealership specific guidance on how to build and implement a compliant information security program.
- Training: We can provide cybersecurity awareness training to your employees, contractors, and vendors.
- Monitoring: TechHeights offers continuous security monitoring to detect potential cyber security threats and vulnerabilities.
Our certified experts understand that the new FTC regulations create significant challenges for small car dealerships. Contact TechHeights today for expert help tailored to these new requirements for car dealerships.
2022 was a turbulent year for cybersecurity. Several large companies, including Twitter and Uber, made headlines after experiencing data breaches. While it’s true that high-profile breaches grab the media spotlight, it doesn’t mean that small businesses are free from cybersecurity concerns, either. In fact, the opposite is true. Small businesses are increasingly becoming attractive targets for hackers.
No matter the size of your company, digital security is an essential part of your business operations. Let’s look at what cybersecurity is and why every small business needs a strong cybersecurity presence.
What Is Cybersecurity?
Cybersecurity, which is also called Information Technology (IT) security, protects critical systems, networks, and information against digital breaches or cyberattacks.
Cyberattacks usually try to steal sensitive data, extort money, or damage an organization’s computers. Criminals use several methods to carry out cyberattacks, but the most common for small businesses are email phishing and malware.
The good news is that you have the power to fight back. A strong cybersecurity strategy protects your valuable assets, empowers your employees, and increases consumer trust in your business. However, cybersecurity isn’t a one-time implementation or training. Instead, effective cybersecurity is an ongoing process for any small business.
The Importance of Cybersecurity for Small Businesses
As cyber threats increase in size and scope, more enterprises are investing in cybersecurity tools. As they strengthen their security postures, hackers are pivoting toward easier targets: small businesses. Unfortunately, cyber attacks against small businesses are becoming increasingly common. As of 2021, 46% of all data breaches targeted small to medium-sized companies with fewer than 1,000 employees.
Of course, the financial ramifications of an attack can have a big impact on high-profile enterprises. But one breach can sink a small company, which is why cybersecurity is so important for small businesses.
Why Do Cybercriminals Target Small Businesses?
Hackers go after small businesses for three main reasons.
Small businesses are responsible for protecting customer data, including personally identifiable information (PII). However, unlike large enterprises, small businesses often don’t have the resources to safeguard this data against evolving cyber threats. Hackers know this, and they also know that small business employees might lack the cybersecurity training to recognize an attack in the making.
Cybercriminals are becoming more sophisticated in their attack methods. They commonly use various types of social engineering attacks, like email phishing, to target smaller businesses for one simple reason: they work. The average employee of a business with fewer than 100 employees will experience 350% more social engineering attacks than an employee at a bigger company.
The Rapid Growth of Technology and IoT
As the use of technology increases, more small companies rely on IoT devices to optimize their operations. However, as their network of smart devices grows, so do potential threats. Most IoT devices lack built-in security and allow remote access, which creates more security vulnerabilities for small businesses.
Links To Bigger Companies
Small businesses are often digitally linked to larger companies for various purposes. Hackers might not be able to penetrate the defenses of the larger organization, so they go after the small businesses that support them instead. For example, consider the massive Target breach in 2014: hackers accessed the network using login credentials stolen from Target’s HVAC partner.
How Do I Learn More About Cybersecurity for My Small Business?
If your business uses the internet, you need to create and maintain an effective cybersecurity plan. The good news is that you don’t have to do it alone. TechHeights offers the best-managed IT services in Orange County. Our experts understand the cybersecurity needs of small businesses and support your business when you need it the most. Contact us today to see how a custom cybersecurity framework can help your small business thrive.
While it’s true that high-profile companies grab the media spotlight, it doesn’t mean that small businesses are free from cybersecurity concerns. In fact, the opposite is true. Small businesses are increasingly becoming attractive targets for hackers.
So, why do cybercriminals target small businesses? It comes down to three things:
- Small businesses have fewer resources
- They’re using more technology than ever before
- Small businesses are often linked to bigger enterprises
Check out TechHeights’ latest blog to learn how cybersecurity can help small businesses beat the bad guys.
Tags: IT services costa mesa, IT services Riverside, Managed IT Services Orange County
In this ever growing era, we must be one step ahead of all the possibilities and assumptions. Just like in the year 2020, we went through a pandemic that left all of us in doubt and dilemma. During the pandemic, we could not plan things ahead of us because we were unaware of how the situation would go further. But, we somehow adapted to the changes and blended ourselves in. Many businesses closed down, and many new ones entered the industry. The most significant change we all saw was the increased use of technology supporting remote work in many organizations.
Because things were highly unexpected, we were also not prepared for the next step. But thanks to various IT services in Costa Mesa, we were able to rely on them and keep our business up and running smoothly. But as time passed, we became familiar with the situation, and it’s time we get up and running for this new change and accept it by updating ourselves.
Now with so many options for Managed IT services in Orange County and to choose one for our firm, we must be well aware of the various skill sets they have within them. Let us understand the four top must-possess qualities of every IT service provider that can be a win-win for both parties.
Technical Skills: It goes the name that is in IT means you must be well crafted with specialized skills. The technical skills will differ from person to person, which may include having a piece of knowledge about science, maths, or the latest updates to try out new things. These skills are a must when you want to excel or make your way in the IT field.
Communication: This is a quality each individual in every sector must have. Whether it is IT or non-IT, good communication can open many closed doors. However, in IT, good communication means you can make your way smoothly to the other side of the bridge with utmost efficiency. If your service provider has good communication skills, they can easily explain the changes they are implementing in your organization and make you understand its needs and benefits. This way, you can be in the loop and have full confidence.
Curiosity: A curious individual makes their way to unexplored paths and makes them visible to the rest of the world. In the same way, if your service provider is curious about learning new things and implementing them in your strategy, this will help you in attaining the desired goals more efficiently and in less time. If you look out for IT services in Riverside, you will get a list of individuals that can help you with solving your problem of having a reliable IT team. We can also assist you with the same!
Resourcefulness: Knowledge is a waste if you do not have the required hands or minds to bring the plan into action. A good IT service provider must be fully equipped with resources that can help your organization work hassle free. This will not only enhance their productivity but yours also as you and your team will be able to focus on the more crucial tasks that include working for the betterment of the organization.
Though you might have a lot of options available to help you with your IT needs, choosing the one that fits in your checklist is important. We are a team of experts and enthusiasts who are built with skills that will help you in overcoming the distance between your plans and goals. To attain the goal is not the plan, but to attain the goal with effectiveness and efficiency that can lead to future benefits is the plan. And we help you in achieving the same as we help you with strategies that fit your organization right.
If you are looking for IT services that can help your business take a step forward, we can be your upper hand.
Book an appointment today!
We all are living in an era where people are running behind in achieving things among the massive competition. It has resulted in people looking for new ways every day to accomplish what they really want. Be it any sector, organisations are growing and evolving with each passing day. Especially in the IT sector, trends are going up and about, and the businesses are reaching new heights. Thanks to various IT services providers and IT support in Los Angeles, we can now rely on their team for smooth and hassle free functioning. With all the possibilities comes a but that makes things complicated to understand.
But are we all making the right use of IT and the services it has for us? Well, certainly not! Though many of us are making the best use of it, some of us are still not aware of the magic wand that we can swing and simply see the magic come into action. To understand the subject better, let us swing by the various IT support in Orange County that we can implement in our organisation and what good it can offer in return.
1. Managed Network Services
Be it any business, the IT service of a managed network is crucial. It denotes that all of your IT systems are managed under one roof or one umbrella. Managed network services help your business stay organised and manage everything for you, right from hiring to payroll and sales and operations.
What are the benefits of Managed Network Services?
- Identifies and notifies you about the escalation of alerts.
- It helps in managing and supporting your network devices.
- Manages and monitors the servers and storage.
2. Data Backup Services
For every business, data is the most valuable asset they possess. To make sure they do not lose it, data backup services play a major role. Whether an employee deletes a file accidentally or it happens out of confusion, data backup services help you recover those lost files and keeps them protected from the unpredictable. In simple words, with the service of data backup, you keep your data stored at more than one place.
What are the benefits of Data Backup Services?
- Application Integration
- Storage optimisation and management
- Security of files and data
3. Public Cloud Hosting Services
These are two ways of storing your data, one is keeping it safely backed up in your own IT system, and the other is keeping it stored in a publicly offered infrastructure that has third-party vendors and is shared by various businesses. Public Cloud Hosting Services are an example of the latter storage type. It is a suitable option for businesses that need cloud services but is not very much focused on safety and security. It is also a good option for businesses that have fewer resources like manpower or budget.
What are the benefits of Public Cloud Hosting Services?
- It does not create a hole in your pocket.
- You do not own the software you are using. Thus no maintenance is required.
- A scalable option to grow your business virtually.
- Reduction in the purchase of hardware and softwares.
4. Network Cybersecurity Services
No matter how updated the technology is, it will always need protection in the long run. This is where you need to incorporate the service of Network cybersecurity in your system.
What are the benefits of Network Cybersecurity Services?
- 2-factor management
- Protecting your servers
- Firewall Management
Though IT services in Los Angeles have been on the top for a long time now, people are now making efficient use of them. It is not necessary that each business may require the same services; it depends on each business. Our team of professionals is here to guide you through the services you need to incorporate into your organisation. Reach us today to learn about IT services in detail.
Tags: IT support in Los Angeles, IT Support in Orange County
IT companies provide worthwhile computing services to flourishing businesses and fledgling organizations. These employ a team of highly skilled professionals with expertise in technology. By giving valuable advice to business owners, IT professionals help them devise effective strategies to be successful in their endeavors. These digital solutions accelerate business objectives and help entrepreneurs translate their thoughts into actions.
A glimpse of the IT services
The IT experts ensure that the companies can streamline their tasks and meet the demands of the clients.
● It monitors the technology
The firm offering IT support in Orange County works extremely hard to maintain the functioning of the technology. This monitor the technology 24/7 and resolve all the glitches that might sabotage the quality of work.
Moreover, the critical functions, infrastructure, and applications can be effectively managed by keeping an eye on the technological framework.
● It provides cloud-based applications
Essentially, IT services can protect the cloud infrastructure, determine the best cloud platform and help adopt proper strategies.
● It offers cybersecurity
The advanced IT support in Irvine provides a safe environment from threats that might be devastating and make things go haywire. Cybersecurity is been recognized as an important factor to keep the company’s information secure and prevent it from being misused.
It also ensures the impeccable functioning of the Wi-Fi, and secured internet connections provide a seamless flow of work.
Besides this, it is good to maintain an uninterrupted network that operates at a good speed. Coordinating the functioning of the servers is important.
● It complies with the rules
It is mandatory for businesses to adhere to IT protocols and comply with the rules. Following the regulations prevents the company from paying heavy fines and may help get some privileges.
● It maintains the systems
Having a sound knowledge of the IT field is important for companies to manage data. By optimizing the systems and installing the latest version, one can ensure that these are working to their full potential.
● It safeguards the data
The computing professionals can help maintain the data and provide backup when necessary. It helps to mitigate the risks during an unprecedented crisis or while facing irrevocable circumstances.
Summing It Up, Things That Make IT Services Reliable-
● If IT companies provide services 24/7 without any interruptions, then the customers can work freely with them.
● Their data management servers should be equipped with features that can take on the load and respond accurately.
● Also, reliable services prevent unauthorized access or misuse of data, as mishandling the information can make things go awry.
● Impeccable customer service encapsulates the process of addressing the user’s queries and ensuring the best digital solutions possible. So make sure the techies at the firm are professional and ready to resolve the issues courteously.
IT services seem to play a major role in businesses. These accelerate the growth of companies by providing them with worthwhile digital solutions. The IT professionals know the fundamentals of technology, data management, and software handling like the back of their hands. Relying on them is fruitful and is important to make use of the best services.
To avail of the best IT services in Riverside, visit TechHeights. The company adheres to the protocols, has a highly adept team of IT personnel, and provides seamless services to businesses. If you want to browse the services, drop a mail, or schedule an appointment, then log onto the website.
Tags: IT services Riverside, IT Support Orange County
In today’s competitive world, companies are looking for eccentric ideas and strategies to make their business stand out of the crowd. And what’s wrong with that? But what if the strategies don’t match the goals set? This will just make the bridge between your goals and strategy go further.
Now, what is the solution? Learning the methods and techniques? Yes, you can, but this will lead to an increase in the budget and a loss of time. So, here comes the need to hire IT support in Orange County. We can help you make the best of technical evolution and make you aware of the benefits it has to offer throughout. Let’s have a look at the benefits and how TechHeights will be of service to you.
- Improve Efficiency: Efficiency basically means getting the best out of the available resources. Our management helps you with services that will maximise your organisation’s efficiency. We help you go through a process that will optimise the life cycle management of your IT assets.
- Risk-free Implementation: With changes comes the need to adapt them properly. And if not, you can run behind in the game. With unbeatable advancement in technology, you can now create and support a change in the organisation. We come to your service by helping you with the planning, testing, and communicating with the business, making sure to eliminate the significant risks that a new change might cause. Our policies and roles will be designed in a way that they clearly communicate with the customers while creating a potential impact.
- Access To Expert Support: Teams often use complex technology, which makes the access to experts critical. With so many changes, we may miss out on a few updates and lag behind. With our managed IT services in Orange County, you can get an established relationship with your systems and customers.
- Security And Security Guards: Let’s understand about the two kinds of building security systems for a moment. One is a badge that does not allow the employee to leave the building. The second is a security guard sitting at the entrance giving directions and only allowing the authorised people to enter the building. The same case applies to IT systems. If a weak system has been installed and there is no one to take care of it, it is of no use to you. We will be your service provider that acts as a security guard to your valuable data and restrict the unwanted people, the cyber attackers, from entering into it.
- Round The Clock Assistance: You cannot ask your employees to be available for you 24*7. But what if a security-related emergency comes up after working hours? We will be your way out then. Our aim is to ensure smooth functioning to your organisation so you can focus more on what’s crucial for you to monitor. We will keep you updated with the latest technology that will ease the hindrances related with cybersecurity and other threats.
We hope it must be crystal clear why an IT service provider is a win-win situation for every organisation in today’s time. It is not enough to win the battle, but what matters is making your own position among the audience. It includes building strong relationships with your customers, working on their requirements, keeping track of your employees, and, most importantly, making sure to shorten the bridge between your strategies and goals.
Were you nodding all the time while reading this blog? If yes, then we would suggest you book an appointment with us TODAY!
Contact here: Call (888) 600-6070
Tags: IT Support Orange County, Managed IT Services Orange County